Layout

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Still here..

J: Have you talked to Cheryl?
A: No, why?
J: (Hesitation)...Aaron's dead.
Josh, me, Cheryl, and Aaron

There are certain people in your life that you will never lose. They may not physically be around anymore, but they will never be gone.

On January 14, 2011, Heaven gained a very special angel named Aaron. I'm sure he asked for the gaudiest halo they had, along with the biggest pair of wings. Aaron married my best friend on June 26, 2010. His beautiful little girl turned 11 on January 18, 2011, and they were expecting a sweet baby boy, due April 4, 2011. Although he is no longer with us, he is not gone.

I've lost people before. I've even lost people close to me before, but this was different. I'll never forget walking into Cheryl's house right after I found out, only to see her curled up in a recliner sobbing. I'll never forget seeing Aaron's body lying on that table in the funeral home the day after his passing. I'll never forget his wake or his funeral. I'll never forget helping Cheryl move out of the apartment that they shared together.

I'll also never forget their wedding day. I'll never forget the day that baby Jake is born (whenever he gets here). I'll never forget all of our double dates and get togethers. I'll never forget the hilariously inappropriate conversations in Bops the Saturday before he died. I'll never forget walking into the living room at our condo in Gulf Shores, only to see Aaron covered up in a blanket watching the Kardashians.

So like I said, he may not be physically here anymore, but he is still here. He is here in the hearts and memories of all of us that loved him and cared about him. He will be here in the life of baby Jake. He will be here in the life of his sweet 11-year old daughter. He will be here every time the praise teams at church sings "There is a River" or "Open up the Sky," two of his favorites. He will be here in the heart of his sweet, strong wife-- my best friend. He will be here in our laughter. He will be here in our tears.

He is still here.

Aaron and the BMs at his wedding

Rest in peace, Aaron. We love you and miss you, and we can't wait to see you again! You better really get to know your way around Heaven, because I have a feeling you are going to have a lot of people wanting you to show them around one day. I'm sure your crown is huge and gaudy; I wouldn't expect anything else! I know you are having tons of fun up there.. See you soon!

-Ashley

2 comments:

  1. This breaks my heart :( I lost one of my very best lifelong friends 5 years ago, and there's still a Mikee-shaped hole in my life. It's nice to know, though, that even though they're not with us right now, we've got some really cool guys in Heaven looking out for us!

    *Julie

    (Short little post here if you want to read it: http://live-and-learn-always.blogspot.com/2010/10/thankful-thursday_14.html)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww. this post breaks my heart...though it makes me happy to know that his little boy will soon be here. i hope Jake looks just like his daddy :D

    ReplyDelete